Stephen is a specialist criminal practitioner who both prosecutes and defends in serious crime. He lives in Essex and appears regularly in courts in East Anglia. He is often instructed to appear as leading counsel.
Stephen is regularly instructed in cases of complex Fraud for both the prosecution and defence. He is regularly instructed by local authorities to prosecute cases of benefit fraud.
He has particular experience of the prosecution of identity theft. He was junior counsel for the prosecution in the trial and appeals in Odewale and others  2 Cr App R (S) 105 – a leading authority for the approach to sentencing in this area.
- R v P & others (2014) – Identity theft finance fraud at Southwark CC (leading counsel for prosecution).
- R v C (2014) – 140K benefit fraud at Ipswich CC (counsel for prosecution instructed by Suffolk Coastal DC in conjunction with DWP).
- R v A & others (2013) – Multi-handed conveyancing fraud at Peterborough CC (counsel for prosecution instructed by East of England Complex Casework Unit)
- R v R (2012) – Finance Director for an Essex company charged with internal company fraud (counsel for defence).
- R v D (2011) – High value company fraud by leading salesman (leading counsel on behalf of prosecution).
- R v Syed (2011) – Professional high value identity and benefit fraud in Southend funding building work in Gujarat (counsel for prosecution instructed by Southend-on-Sea Borough Council).
- R v Hughes & others (2010) – Multi-handed investment and mortgage fraud at Basildon CC (instructed by East of England Complex Casework Unit).
Serious & Organised Crime
Stephen has been frequently instructed in cases arising from offences committed by criminal gangs. He is experienced in the disclosure issues arising from public interest immunity material. He is experienced in the issues arising from the calling of anonymous witnesses and jurors. He has wide experience in the presentation of complex surveillance evidence, evidence arising from informants, telephone evidence and cell site evidence.
- R v F & others, Operation Duston (2016) – Organised crime group running identity theft fraud that targeted affluent occupants of apartment accommodation in major cities through use of bank insiders. (Pros. Leading Jnr).
- R v P & others (2014) – Identity theft finance fraud (Pros. Leading Jnr).
- R v C (2014) – £140k benefit fraud (Pros: Suffolk Coastal DC in conjunction with DWP).
- R v A & others (2013) – Multi-handed conveyancing fraud (Pros: East of England Complex Casework Unit).
- R v R (2012) – Finance Director for an Essex company charged with internal company fraud (Def.).
- R v D (2011) – High value company fraud by leading salesman (Pros Leading Jnr).
- R v Syed (2011) – Professional high value identity and benefit fraud in Southend funding building work in Gujarat (Pros: Southend-on-Sea Borough Council).
Murder & Manslaughter
Stephen regularly instructed in cases of homicide on behalf of both the prosecution and the defence.
He has particular experience of allegations brought on a joint enterprise basis where a single weapon has been deployed in the course of the killing and in cases arising against a background of mental illness.
He is frequently instructed by the prosecution to conduct meetings with bereaved families on behalf of the CPS in connection with criminal proceedings.
- R v Q (2017) – Defence of double murder of elderly couple in Weybread, Suffolk (Def. Jnr).
- R v G (2013) – Diminished responsibility defence to domestic homicide in Harlow (Def. Leading Jnr).
- R v W(2012) – ‘One punch manslaughter’ case arising from incident in Chelmsford (Pros.).
- R v M (2010) – Diminished responsibility to murder defence of Russian ex-serviceman with PTSD arising from past military service. Case included an argument concerning admissibility of past foreign convictions arising from Soviet-era trials (Def Jnr).
- R v R (2009) – Diminished responsibility defence to murder of relative and body disposal (Pros. Jnr) and subsequent appeal proceedings.
- R v B (2009) – Diminished responsibility defence to killing of father by teenage son in Colchester (Def Jnr).
- R v A (2006) – Joint enterprise defence to killing of alleged paedophile in Pitsea (Def Jnr).
Stephen prosecutes and defends in all types of violent crime including attempted murder, s18 allegations, arson, armed robbery and firearms offences.
- R v A (2017) – Attempted murder allegation arising from attack in residential street in Harlow (Pros.).
- R v W (2015) – Fitness to Plead proceedings in respect of violent knife attack on residential address in Colchester (Pros.).
- R v D & W (2014) – Aggravated burglary by masked gang who stormed flat in Chelmsford and assaulted occupant (Pros.).
- R v P (2012) – Attempted murder allegation involving attack in flat with pair of scissors (Pros.).
- R v B & another (2011) – s.18 knife attack in flat in Clacton (Pros.).
- R v H (2011) – Aggravated burglary by masked gang on flat in Basildon (Pros.).
- R v C (2011) – s.18 glassing in a group of underage drinkers in a pub in Sudbury (Def.).
Stephen is regularly instructed to prosecute and defend in sensitive cases of rape and the sexual and physical abuse of children and other vulnerable victims. His advice is regularly sought pre-charge. He is experienced in the conduct of pre-trial witness interviews.
He is experienced in the management and deployment of social media evidence.
- R v AH (2017) – Prosecution of 31 counts of sexual offending arising from internet grooming of 22 children in multiple jurisdictions (Pros.).
- R v W (2017) – Stranger rape in grounds of Chelmsford Cathedral (Pros.).
- R v R (2017) – Sexual touching of teacher on pupil at Harlow school (Pros.).
- R v L (2017) – Allegation of rape in Ipswich student accommodation (Def.) Successful defence of accident to anal rape allegation.
- R v C (2016) – Young defendant charged with multi-victim sexual assault and grooming of young men by means of X Box points bribes (Pros.).
- R v N (2016) – Allegations of sexual activity with 2 children (Def.).
- R v H (2016) – Historic rape allegation against hairdresser by junior staff (Def).
- R v H (2016) – Allegation of sexual assault against a vulnerable adult in sheltered accommodation (Pros.).
- R v B and M (2015) – P 2 firefighters charged with indecent assault and false imprisonment arising from historic allegations at Tilbury Fire Station (Pros.).
- R v N (2015) – Multiple rape of young woman in 1980s (Pros.).
- R v H (2014) – Young defendant in sexual assault allegation exculpated by Facebook and texting evidence (Pros.).
- R v P (2011) – Multi-complainant historic allegations of rape and indecent assault against close relative in Maldon area (Def. at trial and successful appeal in 2012).
- R v T (2011) – Custodian Sergeant alleged to have sexually assaulted female colleagues whilst on duty at Colchester MCTC – tried at Colchester Military Court.
- R v B (2010) – 32-count sexual offences indictment against young defendant (Def.).
- R v T & another (2008) – Gang rape attack on vulnerable female in park after leaving Chelmsford nightclub (Pros. Jnr.).
Road Traffic Offences
Stephen has particular experience in dealing with cases of death arising from driving.
- R v S (2017) – Attempted murder allegation arising from driver’s attempt to drive her motor vehicle at speed off the top of the Dartford Crossing bridge (Pros.).
- R v D (2012) – Death by dangerous driving defence arising from a vaso-vagal syncope condition (Pros.).
- R v W and others (2010) – Multi-defendant prosecution arising from multiple collisions on M11 (Pros. Leading Jnr).
- R v P (2008) – Dangerous driving case resulting in serious injury – evidence derived from the defendant’s vehicle car computer was excluded after a voir dire and legal argument.
Health & Safety
Stephen has prosecuted health and safety cases arising from local authority investigations. He has acted on behalf of local authorities in respect of noise and industrial smell prosecutions.
- R v CWC, Jones Lang Lassalle & S2 Partnership (2012) – Prosecution arising from window cleaner falling through roof of shopping centre in Southend (Pros: local authority).
Stephen has been instructed on behalf of appellants and respondents in the Court of Appeal (Criminal Division).
- R v G (2016) – Leading Supreme Court case on law of diminished responsibility. Junior Counsel on behalf of Appellant in Supreme Court and Court of Appeal. 2016 UKSC 61, WLR 636
- R v G (2014) – Leave to appeal granted in respect of exclusion of psychiatric evidence and directions concerning defendant’s failure to give evidence (Appellant).
- R v P (2013) Rape convictions quashed as consequence of misdirection as to good character (Appellant).
- R v Ramchurn  2 Cr App R 3 Court of appeal review of law of ‘substantial impairment’ in relation to diminished responsibility (Pros. Jnr.).
- R v B (2009) Application by prosecution to quash acquittal and retry defendant for attempted murder and arson arising from firebombing of police officers’ homes in Clacton. (Def Jnr).
- R v R (2008) Murder conviction for quashed as consequence of misdirection as to joint enterprise use of a knife (Appellant Jnr).
- R v MT (2008) Two appeals arising from CCRC referrals in light of revised medical opinion concerning the physical signs of sexual abuse in children (Resp.).
- Exeter College, Oxford – BA Jurisprudence (1994), First Class
- Gray’s Inn
- South Eastern Circuit