Licensed Access allows organisations and members of selected professional bodies, direct access to specialist legal advice and advocacy services from barristers, without the need to secure the services of a solicitor first.
The aim of the scheme is to improve client access to the Bar. “Licensed access recognises that Solicitors are not alone in having the skills and knowledge to benefit from the legal services offered by the Bar”
Consequently, there is no restriction on the type of organisation or individual within a professional capacity that can apply to be licensed.
Irrespective of whether your organisation is large, small, profit making or not-for-profit, you can make an application to become licenced. The success of the application is dependent on whether the organisation or professional is equipped to provide direct instructions to barristers, allowing for the best possible case to be put forward on their behalf, based on the information provided
The following roles are automatically deemed suitable for licensed access:
- Accountants and taxation advisers;
- Insurers and valuers;
- Surveyors, architects and town planners;
- Chartered secretaries and administrators;
- Engineers; and
- Insolvency practitioners.
Those not automatically deemed eligible for licensed access can make an application to the Bar Council.
Red Lion Chambers provide license holders with:
- Access to specialist advice across a diverse range of practice.
- An immediate referral to a barrister of the license holder’s choice.
- Instant communication to the barrister providing your advice/services, either in person, video conference, phone or email.
- Competitive and cost-effective legal services of the highest professional standards.
For more information or to instruct us
Identifying the right barrister and ensuring their early involvement is essential to maximising the prospects of a positive outcome. With our expert understanding of the criminal justice system, we help guide our clients through the legal process.
To apply for a new license or amend an existing one, please view the Licensed Access handbook, or contact Joanne Dixon, Manager, Qualification Regulations on 020 7611 1444.
To speak to us directly and for more information about our transparent fees’ structure, please contact our clerking team, led by Chambers Practice Director, Mark Bennett.