Sophie is a dedicated advocate with a busy criminal and regulatory practice. Sophie has experience across a wide range of offences and her meticulous and diligent preparation of cases puts clients and solicitors alike at ease.
Sophie builds strong and reliable working relationships with both her professional and lay clients, working proactively to provide realistic advice and to present cases for both the prosecution and defence in an efficient and confident manner.
Sophie has extensive experience across large scale investigations, and has assisted in disclosure reviews including the high-profile appeals of former Post Office sub postmasters, and investigations by HMRC and the NCA into tax evasion in Premier League football and corruption by the former Nigerian Oil Minister.
- R v S (2021) – defence counsel in a case of false imprisonment of escorts, which included encouraging sexual activity.
- R v S (2021) – defence counsel in respect of two counts of sexual assault on public transport, involving DNA evidence and examination of steroid use.
- R v B (2021) – defence counsel in a case alleging a taxi driver inappropriately touched a passenger.
- R v D (2021) – prosecution counsel following an allegation of sexual assault in the workplace.
Fraud and Proceeds of Crime (POCA)
- R v C (2021) – prosecution counsel following the identification of an individual involved in the widespread manufacture and distribution of false passports.
- R v M (2020) – prosecution counsel where a nurse was alleged to have defrauded an elderly friend to the value of £15,000.
- R v H and another (2020) – prosecution of a group who aggressively targeted a vulnerable gentleman in order to demand payment for home repairs at an inflated cost.
- R v P (2019) – defence counsel in confiscation proceedings involving analysis of Bit Coin and Dark Web accounts, which resulted in the benefit figure being reduced from £300,000 to £10,000.
- R v C (2018) – prosecution counsel on behalf of HMRC of VAT fraud to the value of £55,000.
- Operation Gauntlet (2021) – junior prosecution counsel in a multi-handed county lines drugs conspiracy.
- R v A and another (2021) – prosecution counsel following a quantity of ecstasy, cannabis, a knife and Halloween mask being located on the back seat of a car.
- R v M (2021) – prosecution counsel in a case of wounding following a fight between two brothers during which the victim was slashed with a machete.
- R v U (2020) – defence counsel following an attack on staff in a burger shop with a knife.
- R v D (2020) – prosecution counsel for a cleaner who repeatedly attempted to steal from a homeowner.
- LBR v P (2019) – defence counsel for a shopkeeper who sold unregulated tobacco products.
- R v S and another (2016) – defence counsel following an assault at a pub during which the complainant received a fractured eye socket.
- R v C and another (2016) – defence counsel in a staged armed robbery of a betting shop.
Sophie acts for both regulators and registrants in cases of professional misconduct across the healthcare sector.
- NMC v B (2021) – a nurse had stolen medication on over 700 occasions from a children’s hospital.
- NMC v F (2021) – a midwife had made countless record keeping errors and was found dishonest in a subsequent job application.
- NMC v F (2021) – a nurse alleged to have offered cocaine to a colleague on duty.
- NMC v T (2018) – a nurse was found to have sexually assaulted a colleague on duty.
Sophie acts for both the Requesting Judicial Authority and Requested Person in Extradition matters.
- Moldova v A (2021) – acting on behalf of the requested person following a warrant from Moldova in a case of human trafficking.
- Hungary v B (2021) – defence counsel for a requested person who was discharged following a Hungarian request for the individual to serve 8 years for a small quantity of cannabis.
- Poland v K (2020) – acted for the judicial authority following the activation of a suspended sentence for burglary.