WEBINAR: Vulnerable Witnesses and Defendants Updater
DATE: Monday 11 July
MORE INFO HERE: [Vulnerable Witnesses and Defendants Updater]
Red Lion Chambers presents the first of two webinars, providing criminal practitioners with an essential guide to the recent and forthcoming changes to legislation, guidance and procedure affecting vulnerable witnesses and defendants.
Keeping up-to-date with the law and practice in this constantly-evolving field can be challenging. These webinars will tell you everything you need to know. Laura Hoyano and Jane Oldfield, facilitated by Valerie Charbit, will explain and discuss the new and updated provisions in Achieving Best Evidence, remote participation of witnesses and defendants, s.28 cross-examination and ensuring equal treatment, as well as how they are being interpreted by the courts and practical tips for those prosecuting and defending on how best to use them.
- ABE Guidance 2022: what is in it, what is missing and what are the consequences of breaching it? An authoritative summary of the updated guidance and how practitioners can use it to their advantage, with reference to recent case law;
- The new Police, Crime and Sentencing Act 2022: the repealed and new provisions for remote participation in trials and what they are likely to mean for vulnerable defendants;
- Amended procedure for s.28 pre-recorded cross-examination: what we need to know and how it affects practitioners; and
- Forthcoming changes to practice and procedure: what to look out for.
- Solicitors and barristers will find this webinar helpful in advising clients and witnesses from an early stage and in making tactical decisions pre-trial.
Part 2 will follow on Monday 5 September, 6pm. More details to follow.
Book here: [Zoom]