Al Sadeq v Dechert LLP  EWHC 795 (KB) extends Litigation Privilege to the victims of fraud/crime who are not parties to litigation but have a real interest in seeing that a fraud is successfully criminally prosecuted: §212.
- Sentencing & Confiscation
Botting  EWCA Crim 441 (Westlaw): value of cheques converted to gold and the gold itself available for confiscation calculation as neither held on trust for criminal gang and D had real interest therein implying control and disposition.
- Bills, Statutes & SIs
- Consultations, guidance, circulars and reports
DBEIS: Annual Report and Accounts 2021-22: HoC Public Accounts C’tee: HC 1254: 26 Apr 23. Highly critical report re COVID: of £2.2B lost through fraud etc, only £10m recovered etc. “A laissez faire approach to fraud”
Chasing Money: Katherine Freeland: Law Soc Gaz: 21 Apr 23.
Anti-Bribery and Corruption Compliance Programme Guidance: Wolfsberg Group: updated 17 Apr 23; Executive Summary
Progress Combatting Fraud: HoC Pub. A/c Com’tee: HC 40: 31 Mar 23
City of London Law Society: the Future of the SFO: Apr 23.
• WANdisco reveals fraud investigation findings: false sales bookings of £115m from one senior sales employee BusinessCloud: 28 Apr 23. Apparently subject to FCA investigation.
• Financial watchdog puts banks on alert in fight against money laundering via the Post Office: 24 Apr 23 – series of measures to reduce risks of ML via Post Offices. See also Cash-Based money laundering 24 Apr 23.
• FCA flooded with whistleblower reports amid ML crackdown: Fin. News: 17 Apr 23.
• 3 convicted of investment fraud and sentenced to a total of 24½ years – cold calling re 120 investors and £1.2m: 6 Apr. 23
• 4 individuals face fraud charges re £1.4m re investment scheme: 5 Apr 23
• Business Plan 2023/24: 5 Apr 23. Funding requirements jumps to £684.2m (8.5% increase).
• FCA sets clear plan for the next 12 months including “Reducing and preventing financial crime”: – continues to develop tools to find scam websites: 5 Apr 23.
• 3 charged over online banking scam – running a website enabling subversion of banking anti-fraud measures.13 Apr 23.
• Notorious criminal marketplace selling victim identities taken down in international operation: 5 Apr 23. Genesis Market sold log-in details, IP addresses and other data that made up digital fingerprints: raids in 17 countries: BBC News: 5 Apr 23
• Joint International Crime Centre launches: 3 Apr 23.
• Glencore Staff Bribery Charges Delayed Until Later This Year: Bloomberg: 19 Apr 23.
• SFO intervention delays decision on trader’s Libor rigging appeal: Times (paywall) 10 Apr 23: SFO to make representations to CCRC.
• Former Spalding United football club chairman convicted of £4m fraud Ponzi scheme: BBC News: 27 Apr 23.
• Alex Chalk replaces Raab as Justice Minister: Reuters: 21 Apr 23.
• Autonomy founder Mike Lynch loses appeal against extradition to US re allegation he duped Hewlett-Packard into overpaying in its £8.2B deal for his firm: Guardian 21 Apr 23.
• Fraudster pleads guilty to £100m iSpoof scam: BBC News: 20 Apr 23.
• Tough action taken against company directors for COVID-19 financial abuse: 459 directors disqualified 2022-23 for abuse of COVID support schemes and 6 prosecuted: Insolv. Serv. 18 Apr 23.
• Preston mastermind of one of UK’s largest tax frauds convicted in absence re £97m carousel fraud and counterfeit fake designer clothing: 10 year investigation: BBC News: 15 Apr 23.
• On the hunt for the businessmen behind a billion-dollar scam: global fraudulent trading network investigated: BBC News: 12 Apr 23.
• Police arrest SNP Treasurer in finance probe: BBC News: 18 Apr 23. Nicola Sturgeon’s husband Peter Murrell arrested in SNP finance probe: BBC News: 5 Apr 23.
• Man who made £1.2m from fake vinyl records caught out by Clash fan: BBC News 5 Apr 23
- EU & Abroad
• Fugitive CEO Ordered to Pay $3.4 B in Record Fraud Involving Bitcoin: Bloomberg: 28 Apr 23.
• OLAF probes potential fraud involving EU recovery funds: Politico: 28 Apr 23
• British American Tobacco to pay $635m for North Korea sanctions breaches: BBC: 25 Apr 23.
• Charges against former Warburg boss approved re tax fraud charges re €280m cum-ex: Time. News 14 Apr 23.
• Police seize fake Spanish masters paintings on sale for $84m: CNN Style: 13 Apr 23.
• EY fined, banned from some audits in Germany over Wirecard scandal: Reuters: 3 Apr 23,