Matthew specialises in Business Crime & Fraud and has substantial experience of associated Money Laundering & Proceeds of Crime, civil and regulatory matters. He is often instructed by prosecution and other public agencies and has successfully defended individuals against a wide range of allegations.
Matthew frequently assists and advises on large-scale investigations involving allegations of financial misconduct. He also has substantial experience in the field of general crime and has acted in both criminal and civil regulatory proceedings.
Business Crime & Fraud
Matthew has advised on and acted in a wide range of matters involving allegations of Fraud, Money Laundering & Proceeds of Crime and financial misconduct. His work has included associated civil and proceeds of crime matters, such as asset Restraint, Civil Recovery & Confiscation proceedings.
- Dame Linda Dobbs Review – Currently instructed in the Dame Linda Dobbs Review, which is considering whether issues relating to HBOS Reading were investigated and appropriately reported to the authorities following Lloyd Banking Group’s acquisition of HBOS.
- R v Y – Instructed as led junior to defend an individual accused of conspiracy to launder £11m through a money services bureau.
- R v A – Instructed as led junior to defend an individual accused of conspiracy to defraud multiple banks and their customers of over £10m.
- Forex – Acted for one of a group of foreign currency traders accused of manipulating exchange rates.
- FCA & Standard Chartered Bank – Acted for the FCA’s enforcement team in an investigation which resulted in the imposition of the second largest financial penalty for AML control failings by the Authority.
- R(JN) v WMC & CMP – Successfully challenged cash detention decisions of the court and the police under POCA in the High Court for breaching Article 3 ECHR.
Matthew has prosecuted and defended in a wide range of criminal cases, including those involving allegations of complex conspiracies and serious violence.
- R v L and others – Successfully defended an individual accused of attempted murder.
- R v V and E – Successfully defended an individual accused of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
- R v W – Successfully defended an individual accused of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
- R v A – Successfully defended a carer accused of ill-treating a resident with advanced cerebral palsy at a care home.
- R v HS and S – Successfully defended an individual accused of armed robbery.
Regulatory & Professional Disciplinary
Matthew prosecutes and defends individuals and corporate bodies in criminal regulatory proceedings and acts for applicants and respondents in civil regulatory cases.
- EA v LA & Others – Instructed as disclosure counsel for the Environment Agency in a large-scale prosecution of two waste-disposal companies and their directors.
- SMDC v S – Successfully prosecuted multiple breaches of a local authority enforcement notice in a case involving complex issues of planning and bankruptcy law.
- HMRC v RE – Acted for HMRC in forfeiture proceedings concerning the prohibited use of “red diesel” in road vehicles.
- CMP v CN – Acted for the Respondent business in contested closure order proceedings involving complex points of law on the relationship between newly-enacted legislation and Article 8 ECHR.
- BPTC, BPP Law School
- LLB (Hons), University of Liverpool
- Exhibition Award and Duke of Edinburgh Entrance Scholarship, Inner Temple
- CPS Panel Advocate (Grade 3)
- CPS Extradition Panel (Grade 1)
- Inner Temple
- South Eastern Circuit