Ian McLoughlin is a specialist Crime practitioner who both prosecutes and defends in a broad range matters, including high profile Murder & Manslaughter and Sexual Offences cases. Much of his work is as a leading junior.
He has particular expertise in cases involving modern slavery and Human Trafficking offences, including s1 slavery cases and trafficking for economic and sexual exploitation. These cases frequently have an international dimension and Ian is well versed in dealing with multi-jurisdictional issues.
― Legal 500 (2023)
Ian is versatile across the spectrum of offences. He gains the trust of clients with a compelling mix of authority and humility. He is on top of his brief and presents powerful argument.
― Legal 500 (2022) Ranked: Tier 2
Ian is a very safe pair of hands and able to pick up work and serious trials in particular at short notice with ease.
― Legal 500 (2021)
I am always impressed by the ease with which he handles all comers and obstacles. He is an extremely smooth advocate and his arguments are always well founded and principled. He never takes a bad point and when prosecuting you know you have a redoubtable opponent but always principled and fair one.
― Legal 500 (2020)
An extremely charming advocate whom juries love.
Business Crime & Fraud
- Op. Slipstream (2019) – Instructed to lead for the first of seventeen defendants facing fraud and immigration allegations.
- Op. Zamba (2017) – Instructed to prosecute substantial money laundering allegations stemming from frauds said to have been committed in over a dozen countries.
- Op. Galahad (2016) – Successful prosecution as leading junior (CPS Specialist Fraud Division) of complex VAT and Gift Aid fraud, with multiple businesses and the use of two UK registered charities to falsely reclaim Gift Aid. The case involved a significant international element, and evidence was given from Pakistan during the trial.
- Op. Gomozia (2015) – Instructed to defend money laundering and the conversion of £57m into Euros via the defendant’s money exchange bureau. The resulting confiscation involved alleged hidden assets and foreign property. The final benefit figure was reduced by £56m.
Ian is an expert in cases involving modern slavery and Human Trafficking offences, including s1 slavery cases and trafficking for economic and sexual exploitation.
These cases often involve an international dimension and Ian is experienced in investigations which have been conducted in foreign jurisdictions.
- Op.Solomon (2021) – Instructed to lead for the prosecution in a seven-handed conspiracy to traffic Romanian nationals to the UK with a view to exploitation within the construction industry.
- Op.Cardinas (2019) – Instructed to lead for the prosecution in a case which involved forced/compulsory labour and the trafficking of workers from Romania to the UK. This case was the focus of a report issued by the Independent Anti-Slavery Commissioner, entitled Operation Cardinas and beyond which described it as ‘one of the UK’s largest modern slavery investigations’.
- Op.Carmelo (2019) – Instructed to lead for the prosecution in a trial involving the trafficking of women (largely from Hungary) to the UK for the purposes of sexual exploitation, by a husband and wife, one of whom was a Special Constable. This case generated much national news coverage.
- R v E and O (2018) – Instructed to prosecute two defendants who trafficked fellow Hungarians to the UK with a view to exploiting them.
- Op Flanderau (2016) – Instructed as lead prosecution in two linked trials of five defendants of an organised criminal gang, conspiring to traffic women from Thailand to London to work as prostitutes. One of the first successful Slavery and Trafficking Prevention Orders under the Modern Slavery Act 2015.
- Op.Carmelo (2019) – Instructed to lead for the prosecution in a trial involving trafficking of women (largely from Hungary) to the UK for the purposes of sexual exploitation by a husband and wife, one of whom was a Special Constable. This case generated much national news coverage.
- Op Winthorpe (2016-2017) – Instructed to prosecute a series of cases against teachers at St Paul’s School in West London, resulting in the conviction and imprisonment of four former teachers.
- R v HM (2017) – Successful defence of a man charged with a violent stranger rape.
- Op Flanderau (2016) – Instructed as leading prosecution in two linked trials of five defendants of an organised criminal gang, conspiring to traffic women from Thailand to London to work as prostitutes. One of the first successful Slavery and Trafficking Prevention Orders under the Modern Slavery Act 2015.
- R v M (2016) – Successful defence of a man charged with rape at Central Criminal Court.
- R v Cowen (2014) – Successful prosecution of a defendant charged with sexual offences committed against children resident in a West London care home in the early 1970s.
Murder & Manslaughter
- R v CJ (2015) – Instructed to defend an 18-year-old charged with two murders, set against a background of drug gang rivalry.
- R v ZC (2015) – Successful defence of a man charged with a one-punch manslaughter.
- R v NH (2011) – Successfully appealed a murder conviction with manslaughter substituted.
Regulatory & Professional Disciplinary
Ian is frequently instructed to act for police officers facing misconduct proceedings. He has conducted many cases both at the first instance and also in successful appeals to the Police Appeals Tribunal.
- In the matter of PC C (2016) – Instructed to defend an officer facing a gross misconduct allegation after failing to administer first aid to an unresponsive man in the street.
- In the matter of PC J (2014) – Instructed to conduct an appeal to the Police Appeals Tribunal following a dismissal for gross misconduct for assaulting a member of the public, having been acquitted at the Magistrates’ Court of the same incident. Successfully argued that the misconduct proceedings should not have been brought following the acquittal and the officer was reinstated.
- B.Soc.Sci in Money, Banking and Finance, University of Birmingham
- Common Professional Examination, University of Birmingham
- Lincoln’s Inn
- South Eastern Circuit