David Walbank QC has launched a new criminal law video update service at [https://CrimeCast.Law].
The website offers, from 5pm every Monday to Friday, new video reviews of recent caselaw and legislation across the whole gamut of criminal and regulatory law: from white collar fraud, corruption and money-laundering to murder, sexual offences and people trafficking; from judicial review to health and safety to environmental prosecutions.
Since the website went live on 1st October 2020, visitors have had free and instant access to ‘The Top 50 Cases of 2019’ and the 50 videos in the 2020 series are being added day by day. Case reviews uploaded in the first week include:
- NCA v Hajiyeva  1 WLR 3209 on Unexplained Wealth Orders.
- R (Bamber) v CPS  EWHC 1391 (Admin) on prosecution disclosure obligations post-conviction.
- Re K (Justice Secretary intervening)  2 WLR 1279 on honour violence and forced marriage.
- Biffa Waste Services Ltd v Environment Agency  EWCA Crim 827 on the transnational shipment of waste.
- R (Defending Christian Arabs) v Guildford Magistrates’ Court & Tony Blair  EWHC 1850 (Admin) on the alleged use of chemical weapons in the Iraq War.
- R (Iqbal) v Canterbury Crown Court  2 Cr App R 1 on judicial review of bail decisions.
- R v Broughton (Ceon)  EWCA Crim 1093 on causation in gross negligence manslaughter.
David says of his new venture:
"During lockdown, whilst the courts were shut, I decided to use the time to revisit all the leading judgments of 2019. As we move into the 'new normal' with digital advances in the sector, a daily video updating service seemed the logical next step. It can be difficult to combine a busy practice with keeping on top of important developments and CrimeCast.Law does the heavy lifting for you, providing succinct but comprehensive summaries of all the key cases. Just tune in and watch at your leisure!"