Preparatory hearing only arises if court declares at beginning of relevant hearing that it is a PH: Miah  EWCA Crim 928
Meaning of Collective investment scheme – Ponzi-like care home scheme (see FCA below): FCA v Forster and Ors:  EWHC 1973 (Ch)
Serious Criticism of FCA re ongoing disclosure failings, failure to call witnesses, failure to conduct a rigorous investigation; relying on internal investigations of others; and “a mindset of confirmation bias”: Seiler v FCA  UKUT 133 (TCC) in particular at §§ 918 – 931.
- Sentencing & Confiscation
Gathering together the correct principles to be applied re totality for criminal offence and related POCA benefits offence Cooper  EWCA Crim 945.
- Consultations, guidance, circulars and reports
Consultation to ban scam calls launched: Home Office/HM Treasury: 2 Aug 23
Prevention of ML/ combatting terrorist financing: revision of Chapter 5, § 5.3.89 – managing risk of impersonation submitted for Treasury approval: JMSLG 1 Aug 2
Review of the attacks associated with Lapsus$ and related threat groups: DHS Cyber Safety Review Board: 24 July 23 released 10 Aug 23: Press summary.
• FCA “ignored whistleblower claims of WealthTek fraud”: The Times (paywall) 31 Aug 23. FCA is investigating WealthTek & John Dance (principal partner) re potential regulatory breaches re client money and custody assets, and criminal offences of fraud and money laundering: see FCA updated 31 May 23.
• Financial watchdog wins civil case against Ponzi-like care home investment scheme: 28 Jul 23: FCA v Forster and Ors:
• Three British based criminals sentenced in US over inheritance scam – 21 years: 30 Aug 23.
• Ex-Nigerian politician charged in corruption case: 22 Aug 23.
• Madagascan President’s Chief of Staff charged with bribery – next hearing Southwark: 14 Aug 23.
• Rio Tinto case closed “not in the public interest to proceed with a prosecution in the UK”: 24 Aug 23:
• ENRC case closed: “insufficient admissible evidence to prosecute”: 24 Aug 23.
• Notice of Discontinuance on expiry of DPAs Bluu Solutions Ltd and Tetris Projects: SFO Summary: updated 28 Jul 23: DPAs, Statements of Facts and Undertakings and SFO v Bluu Solutions and Tetris-Projects de-anonymised Judgement of 19 Jul 21.
• Bank fined £5.4m after energy traders used WhatsApp contrary to transparency rules: BBC News: 23 Aug 23
• New Confiscation Case will test UK’s Commitment to Transparent Asset Return: Trans Int. 22 Aug 23 re £100m Ibori confiscation 24 Jul 23
• Family helped defraud Royal Mail of £70m, court hears – conspiracy to commit fraud by false representation between 2008-2017: Independent: 16 Aug 23
• Widower of jailed Post Office worker loses appeal in wake of Horizon scandal: Guardian: 15 Aug 23
• Fraud claim levelled against NatWest over Northern Ireland loans: Times (paywall): 15 Aug 23
• Entain eyes bonus clawbacks from ex-bosses ahead of £600m fine re criminal investigation into its Turkish business: S. Times (paywall) 13 Aug 23.
• Another big firm to face SDT over alleged money laundering: Law Soc. Gaz: 10 Aug 23
• Luxury properties belonging to former dictator’s daughter seized: MSN: 9 Aug 23.
• Trump and 18 others charged in Georgia election inquiry: indictment includes racketeering, conspiracy to commit forgery, false statements, and filing false documents: BBC News: 15 Aug 23
• UBS to pay $1.4bn to settle fraud claims from 2008 crisis: BBC News: 14 Aug 23
• Sam Bankman-Fried headed to jail after bail revoked – alleged attempt tampering with witnesses: BBC News 11 Aug 23
• Razzlekhan and husband guilty of $4.5bn Bitcoin launder: BBC News 4 Aug 23.
• Former President Donald Trump’s third indictment, annotated: indictment includes conspiracies to defraud the US, obstruct official proceedings, and against Right: CCN Politics: 1 Aug 23
• Mozambique President Nyusi claims immunity in $2bn ‘tuna bond’ case: Aljazeera: 1 Aug 23