Red Lion Chambers has an illustrious history. It began in January 1950 when Fred Lawton set up our first home at 5 King’s Bench Walk.
He was subsequently joined by Barry Hudson, who later became a distinguished defence silk. At about the same time, Chambers was joined by a junior clerk, Stanley Hopkins, who carried the bags for Norman Birkett QC in his famous trials. Stanley, eventually became one of the old style Temple impresarios, a formidable and powerful figure.
Norman Birkett lent his name to the new set and headed the board outside number 5 until his death in February 1962. Chambers was soon joined by Michael Havers, who later in life became Law Officer and Lord Chancellor, and Sir Harold Cassel, a renowned silk and circuit judge.