David Cocks oversaw a policy of expansion during the 1990s. The Chelmsford annexe was acquired in 1996 and our membership expanded to 37. Kenneth Darvil was appointed Chief Clerk in November 1993 with Mark Bennett (Practice Director) his deputy. Between them they ran a highly efficient and trustworthy administration.
Chambers then moved to 18 Red Lion Court, originally the home of William Hawkins (serjeant-at-law), who in 1716 had published the first text book on criminal procedure, ‘Hawkins’ Pleas of the Crown’.
Chambers constitution was revised so that the Headship of Chambers ran for a fixed term on a revolving basis. Anthony Arlidge QC, a renowned silk and thespian took over as head. He was succeeded respectively by Peter Rook QC, now a judge of the Central Criminal Court; David Etherington QC; and Max Hill QC.