J6 Series: "Recent Developments in Criminal Justice Diversion Schemes"
The next webinar in the Junior 'J6' Series: presented by RLC Member Anita Clifford and Laura Jane Miller (Associate Tenant)
THURSDAY 24 FEBRUARY, 17.30-18.30
Anita Clifford and Laura Jane Miller (Associate Tenant) on: "Recent Developments in Criminal Justice Diversion Schemes "
In the last two years, there has been far more discussion about the merits of diversion from the criminal justice system. Youth diversion is already well established but there are calls for diversion to be expanded in the light of court backlog and prison overcrowding which has only been exacerbated by recent events. Diversion of drug offenders, expanded use of restorative justice and diversion of pregnant women from the prison system have received recent attention, with some saying it is not a good idea. This webinar focuses on the topic of diversion and provides an overview of recent developments, pilot programs that may assist prospective defendants and reforms on the horizon.
This webinar will cover the following:
- Setting the scene - Origins of diversion schemes
- The recent debate about diversion - going soft, only available for certain offences or something to be rolled out more widely?
- Examples of diversion pilot programs - what has worked, what has not and is it making a difference?
- Drug diversion: UK government drug strategy published December 2021 - calls for drug decriminalisation, practical impact for drug offenders - which type of criminal clients will be affected, what is on the horizon and how this could affect courts and prison population
- Youth diversion - key components, how it works, problems in practice (i.e., area specific, lack of published criteria in some places)
- Diversion calls more widely - expansion of restorative justice for violent offences and diversion of pregnant women from prison - could it happen