David is a skilled and experienced lawyer who has been described as a strong advocate who will give robust advice where necessary. He is a formidable jury advocate who is able to advance purposefully his client’s case whilst engaging the interest of the jury. David enjoys a balanced practice of both prosecution and defence work.
David is regularly instructed in serious sexual offence cases and has strong client and witness empathy, as well as the ability to deal with vulnerable witnesses. David also frequently acts as leading counsel in large-scale frauds and organised crime cases and undertakes complex advisory work for local authorities.
Professional Disciplinary & Regulatory
Organised CrimeFraud & Proceeds of Crime (POCA) Sexual OffencesHomicide & Violent CrimeRoad Traffic
David is regularly instructed in complex case unit cases and large-scale police operations, which often involve sensitive disclosure briefings, drafting detailed opening notes, schedules and skeleton arguments on admissibility
- Operation Kango (2017) Defending multi-million pound online banking fraud.
- Operation Seagate (2015-2016) Prosecuted multi-handed cannabis farm production and consequent POCA proceedings.
- Operation Nerve (2015) Prosecuted multi-defendant nationwide conspiracy to supply class A drugs trial.
- Operation Kilo (2015) Prosecuted 11-handed conspiracy to supply class A drugs case.
- R v M (2015) Defended multi-handed car ringing conspiracy.
- Operation Leap (2014) Lead prosecution counsel in 9-handed conspiracy to supply drugs, involving cash couriering of large sums of drugs and money between the North and East Anglia.
David is frequently instructed in complex fraud cases and is quickly able to marshal and identify key issues within extensive case papers. His cases involve large scale multi-defendant conspiracies to defraud, advance fee frauds, online frauds and Ponzi scheme investment frauds, and consequent confiscation, asset forfeiture, restraint proceedings and advisory work.
- R v S, S & N (2016-2017) Lead prosecution counsel in building company and investment fraud with consequent money laundering.
- R v T&T (2016) Advised on £5m investment fraud.
- R v B (2016) Instructed in confiscation proceedings following theft by an accountant in conjunction with continuing probate proceedings.
- R v W (2015) Prosecuted fraudulent trading involving the forgery of Kennel Club documentation by a dog breeder.
- R v O & Others (2014) Prosecuted conspiracy to commit fraud and money laundering involving an online dating scam targeting US victims.
A significant part of David’s practice involves prosecuting and defending in cases involving rape, historic sexual abuse and offences involving making or distributing indecent images. He has some twenty years of experience in this field and is often called on in cases involving young or vulnerable witnesses and defendants. He is on the CPS Panel of Rape Specialists.
- R v DW (2017) Defended a sports coach facing historic sexual offences allegations.
- R v AC (2017) Defended an autistic client charged with possession of indecent images.
- R v DK (2017) Defended a client with severe mental health difficulties with allegations occurring in a care home.
- R v GS (2016) Prosecuted multiple complainant historic sexual assault trial of a school master: 29 years imprisonment.
- R v H&R (2015) Prosecuted a serious sexual abuse case involving young children and a 3 day hearing on admissibility of ABE interviews, resulting in a life sentence.
- R v RL (2015) Prosecuted multi-complainant historic sexual abuse case.
David prosecutes and defends in a wide array of homicide and offences of serious violence cases including kidnapping, blackmail and causing grievous bodily harm. He has successfully defended a youth in a murder trial and undertaken a number of attempted murder cases. He is also experienced in dealing with expert witnesses on shaken impact injury in babies and subdural haemorrhage, retinal haemorrhage and bone fractures to assist with diagnosis of non-accidental injuries.
- R v A (2017) Prosecuted prison attempted murder case.
- R v SD (2016) Defended vulnerable male with ADHD and dependency issues charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent.
- R v MS (2015) Prosecuted baby shaking case defended by QC.
- R v I (2014) Prosecuted attempted murder trial following incident in prison.
- R v K&M (2012) Prosecuted attempted murder trial.
- R v O (2012) Defended an acid attack in a public house. Following analysis of identification evidence and enhanced CCTV footage, the Crown ultimately offered no evidence on allegations of causing grievous bodily harm.
- R v H & Others (2010) Led junior in prosecution of attempted murder and conspiracy to rob.
David has experience of death by dangerous driving and death by careless driving cases. He has undertaken numerous trials and appeals to the Crown Court in respect of a wide variety of road traffic offences.
- R v GD (2017) Defence counsel in dangerous driving HGV case involving drug use.
- R v W (2017) Death by dangerous driving case involving assimilation of tachograph and dashcam evidence.
- R v W (2015) Prosecuted death by careless driving involving detailed analysis of forensic and expert evidence.
- R v K (2012) Prosecuted death of a young child victim by dangerous driving by a speeding motorcyclist who did not stop at the scene, but was identified by site visits and extensive piecing together of CCTV evidence.
David is regularly instructed by local authorities and Trading Standards departments for advisory and prosecution work in Magistrates’ and Crown Courts.
- R v AB (2017) Consumer protection prosecution for local authority involving vulnerable victims deceived by building contractor.
- R v SW (2016) Prosecution of Engaging in Unfair Commercial Trading Regulation offences arising out of misleading statutory rights provisions to consumers.
- R v TG (2015) Advised Local Authority on potential prosecution of Business Protection from Misleading Marketing Regulations arising out of leasing and maintenance business contracts.
- R v IFS & Others (2015) Prosecuted extensive cigarette trademark infringement with large scale seizures in Norfolk.
- “A strong advocate who will give robust advice where necessary” – Legal 500 (2012).